Beetroot Poriyal goes best with Chapati, Sambar rice, Curd rice and Spinach curry with plain rice. Grating the Beetroot can be quite a task but cooking this dish takes just 20 mins.
- Beetroot – 2-3
- Cooking oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin/ Jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chillies – 3
- Salt – as required
- Shredded coconut – 3-4 teaspoons (optional)
- Peel skin off the Beetroot, wash and grate it.
- Take a deep frying pan, pour oil and when hot temper with mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and fry it for 30 seconds. Then add the grated Beetroot and mix it well. Fry for a minute and pour a glass of water. Keep it on medium flame and cook with closed lid.
- Open and mix it every now and then to avoid burning, add salt and cook close lid again. Add water if required. When it is done, add shredded coconut. (This step is optional)
Tip: If you do not want to grate the Beetroot, you can also peel off the skin, cut into cubes and pressure cook it. Then temper it and garnish with coconut (optional).
Thank you for visiting. Please leave your valuable comments and also check my Facebook page on the below mentioned link. https://www.facebook.com/Bridecooks.com